View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
I've handled about 50 sets of the Sausage over the years and about 10 of the Tortoise-Shell. I had one last set of that floating around the luthierverse this last two years, my last set, and it landed in Harvey Leach's hands. I won't get into costs of that set or others. I know that if I gave him the whole board he might build me a guitar out of it. :-) And that might take some sweet talkin'. He is having an affair with the Tree right now. I think he has something big planned for that set. I have ZERO sets left, just a few backs and the board.

My wife will have some in my shop when I die...that would be a good time to buy. :-) My next guitar will be one like the Steve Seville "The Tree" with a "Lucky Strike" Carter redwood top over in the Custom forum. That will cost me...sigh. Somebody buy some CD's or book me so I can get it...in 5 years.
OH, you mean this piece of crap...

I've seen a lot of this wood over the years (I think Lance and I went to look at some for the first time about 15 years ago) but really nothing I've seen has compared to this set. Anybody who knows anything about quilted wood knows that when it's "book matched" it's never really the same on both sides, this piece is almost a perfect mirror image from one to the other. As for my "big" plans for it.... well I guess I'm waiting for the man who has everything, or at least thought he did
I've never built a guitar that wasn't for sale (OK, my first guitar I gave to my wife, but that doesn't count) but if I still have this set after we sell Voyage Air for a few cool million and I can retire I might just build a "statement" guitar.

As for it's tonal properties, I just don't get it when people say "it sounds like mahogany" not even close to me and every builder that I've ever talked to says the same thing... maybe I'm just not getting very good "regular" mahogany...

Ya know Jay, I have some really nice LS that I cherry picked from several hundred sets :^)

p.s. what was your wife's cell # again???