View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattymagoo View Post
Still torn on the merits of an amp vs a powered speaker and mixer. The Alto Trouper is looking nice, but then I'll want some kind of reverb for vocals and a DI/EQ for guitar. The amp route still seems more simple and complete... But then I can't really expand or support a duo... Oh the delima lol!!!
You answered your own question.

If you need to be able to support a duo in the future, look into the compact PA options. There are a number of those out there. The most cost effective options are as previously stated, a passive mixer and some powered speakers. A used Yamaha Stagepass system, JBL EON, or Samson i system would fit the bill. They also have their drawbacks, but not many.

If you want to be adventurous, you can also check out my thread on the Carvin S600B. Or, the recent thread on the Harbinger MLS800. I also highly recommend the Line 6 L2t, which you can't find used because no one who buys one wants to sell it. It's well over your budget but it sounds amazing, and would not require any additional mixer or pedals until you add your duo partner. You can purchase a used Fishman SA220 for around $600. I saw a used JBL EON ONE for $750.

The issue you have is that your budget, your present and future needs are not congruent. For $300, you're either going to buy a crippled PA system, or a simple amp with no upgrade path. If the budget is firm, you're probably better off buying the amp and worrying about the duo issue in the future. Otherwise, increase your budget to $700 or $1,000 and buy once. Most of us who have been through this will tell you that you spend less money buying once, but we ALL learn that lesson the hard way. You probably will too. C'est la vie!