View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 AM

Indeed, "The Tree" refers to a single tree found in the Honduras Chicibul Jungle in 1965. To date, no other like it has been discovered anywhere on the planet. There are other species of highly figured or "Quilted" mahogany that are similar but no other trees have been found with the unique figuring of "The Tree" ... often referred to as "Turtleback".

Here's a few pictures of another guitar made from "The Tree". This one is mine and it's the only one I've personally seen and played ... well no, the luthier (Sylvan Wells) who built this one also has one and I've seen his as well.

I've seen pictures of others .. one built by Taylor, another by Breedlove and two or three from smaller custom builders. Also have seen several pictures of high-end custom furniture made from "The Tree" which, by the way, is where most of the wood was used.

Some people have put estimates of the number of guitars that have actually been built of wood from "The Tree" at between 25 and 30. I have no idea if that estimate is accurate. My gut feel is that there are more, but few people know of them. A guitar made of such rare wood would typically be owned by a collector and would rarely be on the market.