View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
Arthur, your post made sense to me and it read like you know what you're writing about. I think you described the characteristics of Adi that I said a person could expect to find in most Adi tops and would be well advised to look for when shopping around.

It's in the bass and "clarity" departments that I think fans of other spruces, cedar or mahogany tops may not see eye to eye with those who chose Adi .. without implying we can't like them all.

I wrote recently that I hear solidity and substance in the bass of a good Sitka guitar that I have not yet found an Adi guitar to equal, and for me that foundation in the bass is not negotiable.
My Sitka Martin dread has cello like bass with a controlled bloom over the bottom octave disappearing seamlessly into the mids that compels me to voice chords all over the fretboard just to soak it up.

If Adi has a thinner tone it can help protect against lack of clarity in a poorly voiced guitar - which would be an improvement - but I make the point that it may come at a cost if the guitar does not need that help.

There must be a guitar out there that will give me the great things Adi can do without losing what I love about Sitka. I will not stop looking.
It's not an either / or scenario, and there can be more than one...

I think the point Arthur was making was that Adi isn't limited to a loud dread for flat picking bluegrass (a myth that gets perpetuated), and that his experience with an Adi top was contrary to the stereotypes.

It's certainly not true that Adi is "thin" on the bass (and there's no reason to think it must have more clarity than Sitka). Put some good headphones on and have a listen:

Last edited by dneal; 06-22-2014 at 09:52 PM.