View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 AM

For acoustic guitars, an iRig Acoustic Stage is cheap and easy to move from guitar to guitar. It will pickup external noise if that noise is loud enough, but less than most any other microphone. Also very easy to use. Sound quality is surprisingly good for a sub $100 item.

What kind of piano and style of playing? It's been a while, but for barrelhouse style upright, a couple of Shure SM57s worked for me in the past. For more reverberant and "open" sounding grand piano sounds I use virtual instruments exclusively now. For my style of naïve piano playing I can get by with an inexpensive MIDI controller keyboard and the VIs hosted in Apple Logic (a subset of which are probably in Apple GarageBand).

My "real pianist" nephew says that the upper end Casio Previa piano keyboards (yes, Casio he told me, knowing that the brand name would surprise many) seemed to have the player feel and good enough sound built in for many purposes. And Casio's upper end is cheap by piano standards.

The advantage of virtual instruments or a good electronic sampled piano (like the upper end Casios) is that room acoustics and noise don't enter into the picture.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....