View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

.....spend as much as you can afford to....do your homework(which is what you are now doing).......and try before you buy...you've got a baritone..(i'm jealous as all get out)...so your voice is gonna be easy to get big...any good system that has respectable low end will make you sound like James Earl Jones...so too vocal mics are easy for you...personally i like a detailed mic for baris because it enhances the inherent richness and catches the sibilance of the diction...love that sound....a quality condenser does that.....your guitar sound is hard to pin down because we don't know enough about it....light medium or heavy handed?...fingers or picks?...what kind of picks?....percussive?...strummy?...thrasher?....yo u get the idea.....then theres technical prefs...liteweight...powered board...or speakers.....big or small speakers...how much power range....a bigger system is generally gonna give bigger sound assuming its top notch gear and set up correctly....and within reason there is nothing inherently wrong with having something a bit bigger than you need...headroom is always a plus...for live sound gear you just gotta go out and hear the stuff....i've gone in to buy gear with a specific product in mind and walked out with something different and better for my needs after doing some comparative listening....its just like trying out guitars...some systems will appeal to you...others not so much....when i listen to systems and their components at a retail outlet i don't play through them...i'm rarely comfortable enough to do so...i just listen to some familiar recording and a/b stuff with that....you can really hear big differences....no reason you can't have the sound you want....life is too short for decent sound....

Last edited by J Patrick; 02-08-2010 at 05:06 PM.