View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Guest316

Default Martin 6% Moisture Content

The last few days just out of curiosity, I watched factory tours of Martin, Taylor and Gibson on YouTube. I think all of them were from Harmony Central. All were entertaining and enlightening. Out of the three, Gibson is the most hands-on, however I think it's a stretch to call any of these manufactured guitars "hand-made"

On the Martin tour, the tour guide explained that the wood comes in to the factory at about "40% Moisture Content", and then over a period extending at least one year they use a kiln and special room(s) to lower moisture content to 6% before they actually use the wood to construct guitars. He explained that 6% is basically as low as RH gets in the real world. The purpose, according to the tour guide, was to prevent the wood from cracking because of low humidity after the instruments are purchased.

This was interesting, and was not mentioned in either the Gibson or Taylor online tours. Does this mean Martin guitars don't really need humidification? There's a lot of real world connotations here, perhaps - This detail seems to mean that it is unnecessary to "anally" keep a Martin instrument at 45%↑↓ RH as you would need to do with a Gibby or Taylor.