View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I’ve owned this 2020 GIbson J-45 since December. It wasn’t played much by the previous owner, but Ive been playing it practically every day - some days for a couple of hours - since I got it. Just in the last week it sounds more resonant, drier and “airy-er” than it did before.

I haven’t changed the strings in about a month, and I swapped the saddle and pins for bone, but that was the first thing I did when I received it and the humidity and temperature are held at a constant in my guitar room. Is this the guitar just “settling in” or is it opening up a bit, or is it all in my head? Seems to be too soon as it took my Martin OM28V YEARS before it started top open up.
When I received my Furch (new) it was a bit on the bright side (cedar/rosewood). I swapped out the tusq saddle for bone, the tusq pins for ebony and I've been playing it frequently. I've also changed strings several times finally settling on a set of round core strings. As a result the guitar sounds mellower than what it was and closer to that sweet spot that I like. Plus I keep it humidified. No telling if what I did is caused the change or tone or the opening up process. My guess is that it's a bit of both.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional