View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 03:56 PM

I've owned both ( 5 different Collings, 3 different Bourgeois) along with Santa Cruz D/PW, Martin '37 D18A, 2 Altmans (A-D1 Quilted and A-D2 Coco), and now a Prewar D and custom Bourgeois AT Vintage D Brazilian. If you're talking about choosing between the Bourgeois or Collings, generally speaking, they sound different with the Bourgeois a little more toward the Martin side of the tonal spectrum. And, yes, the H&Ds are right up there with the Collings' and Bourgeois' IMHO. It just all depends on what your ears like.

Collings dreads kind of have their own tonal personality (strong mids) and don't sound like most other guitars in their price range. I really like how they sound. Their Traditional line are killer guitars and are going to sound more like vintage Martins.

It would be very helpful if you could try the Collings and Bourgeois guitars side by side. If it was going to be my only, or go to guitar, I slightly favor Bourgeois, but that's my ears. But put a Collings D2HA Traditional Baked Top in my hands and it's a stalemate.

Last edited by drbluegrass; 11-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.