View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 01:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
About 8 years ago, I got rid of everything guitar and stopped playing for a year or so. When someone asks how long I've played, I don't subtract that year because it was so unusual. My wife said little to me about this ( wise woman) but came home one day with a very low end student guitar ( classical), you know the kind, had to tune one string with pliers until I got a set of tuners to put on it...I think she got it at the ocal Goodwill store. I played it off and on, then, wham, I really started playing that little student 3/4 size guitar. Several months later, unannounced, she presented me with a black Johnson dread. Well, it sounded like heaven compared to the 3/4 student guitar.
I got back in the groove and stayed there. I just wondered if anyone else totally quit and had someone else help?
Rand,
I totally stopped playing in the late 1980's for a few years while I was running my own business building bathrooms.

One day I decided to stop into the local music chain store to say hello to an old friend. He no longer worked in that store, but one of the newer managers knew me and my playing.

He was shocked that I hadn't played in years, and basically begged me to take part in a monthly program they had where they featured 'older' players doing free shows after store hours.

I told him I would think about it, but he persisted in calling me and eventually I acquiesced and said I would do it.

It took me about 3 weeks of playing a little every day before I was back up to speed, and the show went wonderfully! About 60 people showed up and it was a real wake up call to me.

No matter what's going on in my life, guitar is a part of it, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's always there.

HE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqbuVoz2TE