View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Such a great forum, thanks for all the perspectives, this is the OP. I was initially only monitoring through the Apollo console. The sound I wanted. Thinking I could just apply those same (minimal) effects to a raw recorded signal. But I couldn't get back to that original sound I heard.

So I decided to switch the console to UAD record. Still, on playback I wasn't getting that sound. That's when I wrote my initial post here.

I see that garageband, at least mine, seems to default into a few effects. EQ normally. So that's impacting playback. I turned that off and am getting closer. I'm wondeirng what else garageband includes, perhaps as a default, maybe invisible, with the (good) intention of making amateur recordigns sound better.
A few other thoughts:

You might try going back to UAD Mon, recording, then apply those same effects to the track in GarageBand. Sometimes there's a difference between what we think sounds good when monitoring and what we need when listening critically to playback, so adjusting all those plugins on playback may let you dial in a sound you like while listening.

Switching from GarageBand to something else isn't a bad idea. There's nothing wrong sonically with GarageBand, it's the same as Logic under the hood. But the toy-like interface is annoying, and you definitely don't want to use their channel presets. Luna will give you a more professional UI and workflow. Logic is another good option (tho not free), especially if you have existing projects in GarageBand. You can simply open those in Logic, and it will convert them to a Logic project.