View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewoodsteel View Post
Buy a Taylor. They are very consistent in construction and tone, imo. Any differences within a given model are often related to the strings, not the guitar (once again, imo).
The Taylor's are the most consistent acoustics I've experienced. But even the Taylors in the same model/year can be very very different from one to the next. The high end music store I mentioned in my original post, not only keeps fresh strings on all their guitars, they also make sure they are set up with low action. I never have to tune a guitar I've picked up in this store. They tweak them to get the most out of each guitar. The owner is an outstanding finger style player in the vain of Doyle and Chet. He's also knows all the ins and outs of setup for acoustic guitar. The only reason I'm telling you this is to make my point on the difference from one guitar to the next.

At Guitar Center and Sam Ash, the Taylors along with all the other acoustic guitars are not cared for at all. Old strings are a big problem in the box stores. That being said, my experience has been the really good acoustics still sound good with bad strings. I've played guitars that I wanted to like because of playability and looks that sounded dull and lifeless. I've had them install new strings with only slight improvement.

I should also say that I'm extremely particular about all my guitars and the the way they play and sound. I usually change strings every ten days or so. I have friends that hardly ever change strings. Drives me crazy to have my buddy with his wonderful Collings D2HA and old dull strings.