View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 10:32 PM

The problem in being able to give you a clear answer about this is that French polish is not a finish material, it's a technique for applying a finish, usually shellac of some sort.

Bowie, what I would recommend you do is first contact the builder of the guitar to ask whether standard shellac flakes from a guitar-building supplier were used, and if so what brand. Then I would call Stewart-MacDonald and try to reach Dan Erlewine, who's sort of their in-house repair guru. Ask him whether a clear vinyl pickguard will react with shellac the same way that it will with nitrocellulose lacquer.

Because the vast majority of the clear removable pickguards I've seen on the market have been made of vinyl, and vinyl is a dreadful thing to put into contact with a nitrocellulose finish, even momentarily.

But shellac might not be affected by it the same way.

So find out exactly what finish material is on there, then check with the folks at Stew-Mac, preferably Dan Erlewine. He can almost certainly tell you whether vinyl would be hazardous and destructive to that finish.

If you want to find out during this lifetime, avoid the temptation of asking by email and just pick up the darn phone. You'll get an answer much more quickly if you do.

If you do speak with Dan and find out, please return to this thread and let us know what he says.

Thanks.

Wade Hampton Miller