View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

When I started building guitars 48 years ago the fretwire I used was more malleable than the standard wire of today, but I estimate is lasted 4 to 6 times as long between fret mills. That old wire had othe issues though, it was difficult to install and generally required a lot more attention to get a good playing surface in the first place.

Typical modern wire (the last 35 years) installs easily, but many players need a dressing in as little a six months, and most do in a year or two. Starting out at .040" high, it can be taken down to about .030" before playing becomes difficult, for most people. That is 4 light dressing or 2 heavy dressings.

Now we have EVO and SS fret wire, both of which last many times longer than standard alloys. SS wire requires upgraded tools to work with, and costs somewhat more as a material, it therefore costs the user significantly more than standard wire. EVO, however, barely costs more than standard wire, about $2 per guitar, and takes no more time at all, less in my opinion because it goes in more consistantly. I do not charge more for it, therefore. It lasts at least 4x as long as standard, making it a wise choice.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 03-26-2015 at 10:50 AM.