View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 AM

To each his own, this is an old thread, but I would bet that only maybe 20% of all Martin users use coated strings, any brand. And that would be based on the UMGF forum which is probably the best sampling of Martins players you can find anywhere, and my circle of D/FW Martin players/friends and store owners.

There are certainly Martin folks who like Elixers and valid exceptions like weather considerations, but every string poll I have ever seen among Martin players has a strong bias for non-coated strings, that's a fact.

I'm sure some day there will be a coating that is totally transparent to tone, Elixer Nanos are "close" and I haven't tried the Martins strings with the Cleartone coating yet, but I'm sure the day is coming. Historically though, check the polls, most Martin players feel coated strings which are great on bright guitars like Taylors, somewhat dull warm/woody guitars like Martins.

If ther Cleartone/Martins are a hit or somebody else comes out with a coated string that does not affect tone at all (nitpicking for sure, but that's why folks buy nicer instruments, for the subtle nuances) I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Nothing wrong with saving money on strings if the tone isn't affected...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)