View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I've been looking to swap my 12-fret HD28vs, which is fun to play and has that vintage vibe going, but it's just too bass heavy. It sits in between two worlds with 12 frets and big dread size, though it's got BIG dread sound. I kind of like it, and in fact had this plus a D18vs (now somehow magically and unexpectedly transformed into a D18 standard).

So, I'm going either down vintage dread way, or another 12-fret. Not many 12s out there .... but three I have tried recently, and first two are out of consideration:
  • Martin MMV 0-12vs, which is the GC custom line -- pretty nice small body guitar, was a good comparison going with the CEO-7 (BTW, the CEO7s are SOOO easy to find now). Too light sounding of me, but nice little guitar (seems like replacing a F150 with a VW bug). Price was around 2K -- check it out here:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-C...58-i2629891.gc
  • Taylor 712ce 12-fret -- Really like this, had a serious vintage vibe thing going and hate to offend my Martin friends here, but it was the most Martin sounding Taylor I've ever played. (A compromise I suppose?). Playability was excellent .....price was on the high end of your range.
  • A third one I am considering because it sounds like a $4K guitar, but costs like $1K is the Eastman E20 00, and they also make a hog version. Highly recommend you check these out -- better to my ears than both the above, plus it's got it's own vintage vibe going, though it's got that Eastman unique tone thing, that is probably a more modern sound. I'm tempted to just keep the Martin and buy this, but I can't afford the space or the spousal abuse factor

My favorite 12-fret is actually a 13-fret Santa Cruz (that they also make in 12), and in a lucky find your can get them around $2.5K, but you'd have to buy direct from someone ... shops bump these up over $3K typically. Good luck and keep us updated where you go!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .