Thread: Mixing routine
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 10:23 AM

My session template always includes a Sonimus N-Series console and a Sonimus Sweetone EQ. That is my default Pro Tools/Studio One channel strip and right this moment, etched in stone. I put that and the Sweetone plug-in on virtually every track that inputs audio, except for Aux's. When the session is done I level the input using the N-Console. At that point, I can relax (relatively speaking) knowing there are no overtly high or low signals. That is to say, all inputs are very close in value. There is of course some finagling as to peak-vs-rms but those adjustments usually take seconds.

As to the mixing, I never mix by sub-groups. (drums, bass, guitar, etc) that just never works for me so, the second step, for me. is to start the endless task of "the pass". I just endlessly take swipes at the mix, first looking to set relative levels to each track. This is the most time-consuming component of the process. Once that's sketched out I'll focus on EQ passes (if needed) just to make sure the sonic landscape isn't being hogged by an aggressive instrument or vocal. For eq-ing, I start by using the Sonimus Sweetone, which is dead balls simple (using only hi-pass, low-pass, and a general "tone" control) sounds just wonderful, and extremely easy on resources. It's important to note here I'm still doing my passes with all tracks activated and on.

From there I start the FX passes. I find that once a mix is in a relatively good position it is much easier to hear where FX's are most beneficial.

If time allows I'll walk away for a day or so, although time is seldom available. Once I cleared my hearing and memory, I'll start a final mix.