View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've played a few and heard a few others being used in clubs. They're okay. They were a moderately priced guitar when they being imported into North America, so a lot of folks with an eye for something different got them.

I hadn't seen any Craviolas for a long time, so assumed that the company had long since gone out of business, but a couple of years ago a Brazilian guy here on this forum told us: "No, they're still making guitars." So a Google search ought to take you to the current Craviola company website.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Hiya Wade, They do indeed still make guitars, though where I do not know. Steel string Craviolas (both 6 and 12) and a slot head nylon string are listed. They seem to be a bit more high end now than they were. None seem to have pick guards, but I asked anyway if they have any. If not it is not a big deal to make one.
I noticed that mine has a bridge with adjustable saddle height. I wonder if it has been replaced at some point, I have not seen another like that. I will post pix when it is out of surgery and back home. Could be from an Epiphone or Gibson 12.
I wanted a 12 string that sounds good and does not break the bank, and that I could travel with without worry. I think that laminate instruments have their place, particularly when traveling to areas varying widely in temperature and humidity, as I do.This fits my need. The hole that some dips hit has prebored for me will be put to good use. As for the looks, you love it or hate it. Maybe I can get extra gigs at renaissance fairs impersonating a luter.

Please send some warm air down from Alaska. It has been brutal here in the mid Atlantic.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model