Thread: I'm frustrated.
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 AM

My contrary view is learning to play clean and do it consistently is what separates the men from the boys. And guitar players, especially strummers, tend to focus on the fretting hand when, as you are finding out, the strumming hand is very important. One way to work on this is to isolate and focus. Play a single chord or, even better, mute the strings with your fretting hand or a loose capo or something and just strum. Become part of the percussion section and forget about harmony and melody. If you mute the strings, you can do this with your jam songs. Do it for a while. Maybe it will help

And BTW, yes, even the master chair guys might need a couple of takes (or even three), but the ability to stretch and still nail it first take is a valued commodity. And there is a line of guys who can pull it off waiting to take that first chair. I realize that is not what we are really discussing but I think the value system still applies. And if it is frustrating/annoying you, it probably means you want to learn to improve and not learn to ignore it.

And for most of us, mistakes will still happen. For me, that just means work on it some more.

hunter