Thread: I'm frustrated.
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh1765 View Post
Folks I'm 77 years old bought my first guitar in 2009. I’m self taught which may be the problem. I'm retired have plenty of time to practice and do but still have a problem making it through a complete song without making a mistake. If it’s not the left fretting hand it’s the right strumming hand.

I only play the old country music. I love to put a CD on my stereo and play along with the likes of Haggard, Jennings, Coulter, Johnny Rodriguez and Doyle Lawson. Have no trouble playing along but can't stop making those little annoying mistakes.

Dog gone it I'm frustrated.

Not looking for sympathy just suggestions on how to get better. Do I just need to keep at it? Should it improve in time?

Give me some suggestions please.

djh
Hi djh...

Making music is not about Not Making Mistakes. Especially not 'annoying little' mistakes. It may be about recovering from them, or playing through them.

Making music is somewhat like golf, and the goal is not a bogie free round, but recovering out of the rough. Making music is like bowling, and we are going to make some spares. Poor analogy but I hope you get the point. The goal is not perfection…the goal is music.

Sometimes what I may consider a mistake when playing, another accomplished muscian might not agree is a mistake. But my encouragement to you is to play through mistakes and don't stop the song, even if you make a mistake.

When I'm transitioning students from playing during lessons to going 'public' (we play together for our guitar society), I tell them, "Once we start the song, we are not stopping, not starting over, not apologizing. We are just playing. If you make a mistake keep going, because I'm going to. And if I make a mistake, you keep going and I'll jump back in."

If we make a mistake, and stop the music and identify it as such, and then start over, we never become musical. So I'd say it's just part of the growing experience, and we all experience it.

Now go make music! Tell some stories with it!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…