Thread: I'm frustrated.
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh1765 View Post
Folks I'm 77 years old bought my first guitar in 2009. I’m self taught which may be the problem. I'm retired have plenty of time to practice and do but still have a problem making it through a complete song without making a mistake. If it’s not the left fretting hand it’s the right strumming hand.

I only play the old country music. I love to put a CD on my stereo and play along with the likes of Haggard, Jennings, Coulter, Johnny Rodriguez and Doyle Lawson. Have no trouble playing along but can't stop making those little annoying mistakes.

Dog gone it I'm frustrated.

Not looking for sympathy just suggestions on how to get better. Do I just need to keep at it? Should it improve in time?

Give me some suggestions please.

djh
Try to learn a slower tempo song like "I Believe in You" by Don Williams.
Play it over and over for an hour until you make no mistakes. That may give you some confidence. The intricacies of teaching your hands and fingers to cooperate with the brain takes a long time. If you aren't, take a high quality B vitamin supplement w/ B-12. That can help a lot. Also, take frequent breaks and go for a walk, or walk on a treadmill, for 10 to 15 minutes. You'll immediately notice a calming of your nervous system, and improvement in coordination. Finally, get yourself a set of Chinese medicine balls, and rotate them clockwise and counterclockwise daily. These quickly improve proprioception and control of your finger muscles. Don't park your guitar under your hands when you're using them. Good luck!