View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

This one of the best posts - a great encapsulation of the topic and entertaining.

Now I’ve read many great posts since 2014 but this is one of the tops - thanks! 😇😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
A different approach....

Well, it seemed that when buying an acoustic guitar - they always came from thousands of miles away....mysterious foggy places far, far away and a complete 'unit' arrives in a case! This is what you get, sort of thing.

But one fine day I was picking up a repair from my local luthier and I noticed this beautiful and exotic acoustic hanging from the roof on wire.......

"Wat Dat?", I asked.

Ha, it is a full custom he makes....he let me have a little play...WOW!

"Is this for sale? How much?"

Unfortunately for me, the new owner was about to come pick up his new beast.

So against all my rules of playing first, mahogany/sitka... blah, blah, I ordered a deep body 00 of exotic woods with a large V neck and plenty of fingerpicking space!

And the wait begins, and some hand wringing and second thoughts and loss of sleep and indecision and....excitement, joy.....fear? And one day when you have almost forgotten all that ...it is finished!

HA! Wow! Perfect!

Now it is around 8 years old and it is fully emotionally attached! Last one out it will be, though I do have a penchant for buying and trying different guitars.....

To me the luthier is my friend and pseudo brother in arms and maker of this fine art object - to him I have probably just another ...pest? Crazy person, mad customer

BluesKing777.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics