Thread: P90 guitars
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 07:31 PM

My two favorite P90 guitars:

Epiphone 339 P90 from the 20-teens. Doesn't look like this model is still sold, and it may have even been a Guitar Center/Musician's Friend exclusive. The smaller 335 shaped body is easy to handle, and the stock pickups were a revelation, moving me away from a couple of other P90 equipped guitars I'd owned/played before. It is very responsive to picking dynamics and the volume knob, so can get the classic clean to crunch without necessarily stepping on a pedal. This model was inexpensive, and it's not the sort of instrument that has every little detail perfectly finished. It also has an odd neck carve, a bit chunky U shape, which doesn't bother me, but I could see why others wouldn't care for it.

Guild Starfire I Jet P90. Oh man, what a guitar. Full of character. Like the Epi this is an inexpensive build without careful little details like bound F-holes and has non-gloss satin finish as well. Sweetwater often seems to have "demos" with minor finish issues too. So not a guitar for the admire the fine woodworking crowd. The tuners on mine aren't the smoothest either.

None-the-less I think it would look great on stage, and the non-gloss finish from a distance just adds to the vintage guitar vibe without needing a "relic" treatment.

It says P90 in the name, but the 3 soapbars here are also called Guild Franz style. They sound different from other P90s, a little more "single coily," but they sound great. The pickups may be slightly microphonic* in a wonderful way, since this thinline responds an acoustic resonance that is equal to or greater than the larger laminated full depth hollow-bodies I've played. Nice feeling neck. Bigsby. 6, count'em, 6, pickup selections (all the "Stratocaster" positions plus a neck+bridge position as a bonus.

Weight seems to vary on Sweetwater's examples, but mine feels tolerably light, balances well though even with the big headstock. Between the sound, those sonic variations of the pickups, and feel of it, it's a joy to play.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....