View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM

With some builders and some styles of guitar, features like bevels may not be apt. Eg the traditional vintage type builds that seek to replicate the look and sound of the prewar martins.

If i were to commission a modern type build, I would favour adding the arm bevel if the budget can withstand it and if the builder offered that feature. I have gotten used to how the bevel on the sheppard that I used to own and now the ryan makes playing much more comfortable without the sharp edge of the guitar digging into ones arm.

A cutaway is nice to have but not essential for me - ymmv. I have not found the manzer wedge to make that much of a difference comfort wise for me.

Nowadays I am far less particular about what I would specify - i would generally want to order the model and the wood combination that the luthier is most confident and experienced in using to produce his desired results. I used to favour spruce over cedar but playing my ryan has changed my mind - it depends on the specific piece of wood and on the luthier.

I have found that I favour rosewood sounding tonewoods so I would probably only choose luthiers whose best combo involves some kind of rosewood sounding tonewoods.