View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 10:12 AM

I recently acquired a pre-owned SC 00-Skye and couldn't be happier. What amazes me the most about this guitar is not how great it sounds (it does) but that it has really opened up my playing to include almost the entirety of my skill set and musical styles. I'm guessing that most of you are like me in that you play or have played many styles of music in your life. I often find that when I pick up, for example, a nice dreadnought guitar that I play almost exclusively bluegrass and fiddle tunes. Les Paul = Page, Strat = SRV/Jimmy. Light and responsive smaller guitars and I play melodic finger style, etc, etc. When I pick up the 00-Skye my whole pallet of styles and techniques are there for the plucking. The other day I put the capo on the 5th fret because I like the sweetness of tone in that position and suddenly found myself playing an instrumental version of 'The Same Deep Water As You" by the Cure! Where did that come from? It's really a weird experience but it makes me understand how Eric can own just this guitar (I'm not there yet...).

As for the 'signature model' issue, I agree with what has been said above. And in addition to people putting unique inlay or images or photos of themselves in the soundhole, I also dislike when faux-distressing is used to imitate a specific guitar. In the case of the 00-Skye, the specifications are unique to the model but are within the range of what is historically normal for this type of guitar. In fact one of the things that attracted me to the model is that it shares many specs with some of the Norman Blake small-body guitars and some of the specs he has reported to value in various interviews. Add to this that SC uses their top-shelf woods and you have a newly designed classic guitar that is comfortable, with wide ranging power from sweet to amost break-up, and with a pre-war inspired, scooped brace type of sound with that SC thing going on. If I could only have 1 guitar I'm not sure what that would be but the OO-Skye would be on the short list for sure.

Well done Eric and Mr. Hoover. You did it!