View Single Post
Old 02-04-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
First, we have my StewMac main eyelet board. A perfect recreation of the mid-60's original assembled with genuine 1950's technology (ignoring the small axial lead electrolytic's).

Next we have the Headstrong version. All the passive components are the latest, quietest, longest lasting, and physically tiniest that today's technology has to offer. The solid core cloth insulated wire is used to maximum Manhattan geometry perfection in a way no factory run by Leo Fender would ever come close. It is much loved by the cork sniffing crowd :~).

Last we have the Fender 64 Princeton. The components are higher end consumer grade. The eyelet board is made from modern glass epoxy. The wiring is plastic insulated stranded (I think) and not obsessively placed (Leo would be fine with it). The main ganged chassis mounted electrolytic capacitor is replaced with eyelet mounted axial lead individual electrolytic's (like the higher end Fenders of the 60s). This amp is much maligned by the same crowd that loves the Headstrong.

So what do I think, as a retired EE whose opinion is tilted towards the modern??? The Fender 64 is way better!
After having owned three 7ender amps with fiber tag boards (1962 Concert Amp, 1966 Band-Master head, and an early '70s Princeton Reverb Amp) I am all in favor of glass-epoxy boards.