View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
I own a custom shop strat and a custom shop historic reissue LP that are both superb instruments. But they are bananas and kumquats when it comes to tone.

I don't believe either method is "superior" to the other, but there are differences.
My experience has been that solidbody electric guitars are far more sensitive to these factors than acoustic guitars. The choice of tuning gears, for example, makes a huge difference in tone on electrics; not nearly so much on acoustics.

So I don't believe that acoustic and electric guitars are directly comparable in this regard.

It's also important to note that the simple "slab of wood in a pocket" design of the Fender bolt-on necks is nothing at all like the considerably more elaborate bolt-on neck joints of modern acoustic instruments. So, again, it's not a direct comparison.

If all anyone was using was the Fender-style bolt-on neck joint, then I'd agree with you. But since about the only thing the neck joints that Collings, Goodall, Taylor and so forth are using have in common with those Fenders is the use of bolts, it's not an issue.

What happened in the thirty or so years between those dreadful 60's bolt-on neck joints on acoustics and the use of these modern designs is that luthiers learned how to design bolt-on joints that directly couple the neck and neckblock far more effectively.

So I stand by what I wrote in my earlier post.

Wade Hampton Miller