View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 10:44 AM

When Harvey Leach (the inventor/developer of the Voyage-aire) first started having them manufactured, he sent some out to members of a guitar discussion group he was active in (RMMGA). I was fortunate to have one for a couple of weeks, and I found it outstanding.

I don’t recall the model designation, but it was an all-solid wood OM, Sitka over hog. The fit and finish was very nice, comparing well with my Martin OM-16GT. In fact, I preferred the sound and feel of the Voyage-aire to the Martin. I don’t recall the term for the backpack sized case, but that was what it came with. A big plus was that when the guitar was unfolded and reassembled (restored to its proper shape, whatever) it was usually in nearly correct tune, just requiring the usual tuning touch ups that any of my other guitars would need after being transported.

At the time, the Martin was still rather new, and I wasn’t really in the market for another guitar, so I didn’t jump on it, but the voyage-aire was a really fine instrument, and certainly a fine solution to traveling problems.