View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 11:15 AM

I very much appreciate Robin's post about using microphones. At our folk club, we downsized our PA system from a pair of 15's, mixing board etc. We bought the HK Nano 608i system with a 18 channel stage box style mixer with remote iPad control and use one condenser mic for our open mic sessions. For concerts, we will provide the artists and bands with dynamic mics, D.I.s or they can use their own condenser mics.

For my own personal use, I prefer the Sennheiser E945 dynamic mic and K&K pickups. I like to use a single Rode NT1 condenser mic when I can. But I find the circumstances often prevent that. Not sure if it's simply a matter of modern convention or convenience. Many of the places people play are too noisy for a condenser mic. That begs the question, "why play for them?" Alas, I am not a philosopher, just a schmuck who likes to sing and play his guitar.

As far as plugging in, I have a Bose S1 Pro with the wireless adapters. It sounds very good, especially on a short pole. I also recently splurged on a complete Bose L1 Pro8 / T8 system. It's the nicest system in terms of sound and features that I can comfortably carry at present. I'm using it for a string band. I have a LR Baggs VPDI for plugging into a house system for longer sets.

I don't really try to get perfect sound from my guitar when playing open mics. It doesn't typically work to my advantage when I bring pedals and such. I just accept what they have to offer and focus on the vocals as much as possible. The audience doesn't have an appreciation for the difference.