View Single Post
Old 06-19-2001, 11:11 PM

Unhappy Temperature variations

The more I read here, the more words of caution I see about subjecting these guitars to any kind of stress whatsoever.

Well, I live in the desert. I bought the sound hole humidifier (I even use distilled water because we have hard water), and I keep the guitar in the case. I bought a big room humidifier, and now keep the house 40 - 45% humid for the guitar. But the temperature this time of year -- well, I can't afford to run the cooler all day (and leave windows open while at work). So I get home from work and the house is 85 or so inside. Inside the case at Taylor level today, it was 81 degrees and 41 percent humidity. So I turn on the cooler, and over the next hour or two the temperature in the house drops ten degrees or more.

Is this a problem? Should I worry about taking the guitar out to play? I mean, at some point, these things have got to have some kind of durability, right?

I certainly appreciate what the guitar looks like, and what I paid for it, but just how delicate are these instruments? I've had a Pimintel classical guitar for 15 years and never humidified it or anything, and it looks great. It was made here, though, so perhaps by design it likes dryness and heat.

I'm curious what you folks think. I don't know what more I can really do--live in a bubble with my Taylor?