View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 08:44 AM

I'm paying the price of a hearing loss, due largely to loud music when I was younger, especially on stage and as a radio announcer/DJ. I HIGHLY recommend hearing protection. The best kind, I think, is generic - keeping the overall volume on stage, in the audience, and in our headphones moderately low. Next best is ear plugs.

My wife and I attended a concert a few weeks ago. Great group, but they were very likely bumping above 120 dB where we were sitting, with an average above 110. We moved immediately to seats we thought might be "out of the line of fire," to little avail. We left at first opportunity, our ears already aching and ringing. I made sure, politely of course, that those in charge knew why we were leaving. We were told that three mothers with small, crying children had already left. I know why they were crying - their ears hurt! But there was no effort, evidently, to solve the problem. The next day, I talked to someone who stayed for the whole concert. He didn't know anything about hearing loss, but both he and his wife woke up the next morning with a roaring waterfall sound in their ears! His has gone away, but hers is still there, though not as loud.

Be careful, folks - damaged hearing is not always temporary.

cotten