View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Default New Guitar Smell

Hi, first an introduction, I'm Steve and I'm an acousticholic

A couple of years ago I picked up the guitar again after about 20 years of not playing. Lately I've been playing acoustic mostly, and have bought a couple of guitars, new and used.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Simon and Patrick Vintage Burst Folk Cedar from a local dealer. After I got the guitar home, I noticed that it had a strong lacquer smell. I Played the guitar for a few hours and started getting ill, so I put it back in the case and called the dealer. He promised to contact someone at S&P and see about returning it.

After a week, the dealer called to say the S&P rep claimed the guitar was fresh out of the shop and the smell would dissipate. The dealer quipped that "He likes that New Guitar Smell"

Well, I haven't bought many new guitars, the ones I have bought didn't make me sick to play them, maybe I should go vintage

The smell is starting to go away, slowly, and I like the guitar, so I'll hang on to it. I was just wondering, is it normal for a new guitar to smell like lacquer, or what ever the finish may be?

Thanks,
Steve