View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
I'd concentrate on the Gore/Gilet books.

That's very funny - a belly laugh. For all of the unstated reasons.

I'm not going to review the books here, but I'm currently slugging through the Gore/Gilet books. In my opinion, they are a must-read for anyone serious about guitar making. I think they are the best books ever written in the English language on the subject. I was stunned by the thoroughness of the second book dedicated to physical construction. (The first book is not lacking either.) About the only thing not covered was the use of CNC machinery. Thanks, Alan, for your contribution to the books.

Its fascinating to me that two different builders published two different sets of books in the same basic format: an expensive, glossy, hardcover two-book set with the first book dedicated to theory, the second to practical how-to guitar making. In my opinion, as a generalization, Somogyi's books are the "warm and fuzzy" intuitive approach, while Gore/Gilet's is the hard-core scientific approach. I think that the discussion and topics that Somogyi brings up are valuable contributions, but less to the point of improving one's ability to understand guitars and improve the guitars one makes.