View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
40, 45, 50% is bantered around a lot as magic numbers but that is really not what to think about. You must know at what RH your guitar was built at then you can deduct 10% from that and know your guitar is perfectly safe. You can add 25% and know it is perfectly safe also. I know my guitars were built at 40% so an extended period of 30% is no problem but if your guitar was built at 50% I would be concerned.
However the fact is that your guitar might be safe no matter what the RH is on a day or month. Many, many guitars were built in the ages gone by that are just fine without humidification. As I dont know if my guitars will be fine I have two accurate gauges, I repeat they must be accurate not just something, that I check daily. If need be I have a good humidifier that can be used to raise the RH of the rooms my guitars will be in.
Thanks, I haven't thought of it that way. Is there a magic average in the Martin factory that anyone knows of? I only have the 45 50% mentioned in the Martin care booklet for reference. I'm planning on getting a hygrometer to put in my case though.

Edit: the 45 50% was the humidity in the factory, must have mixed it up in my head :P

Last edited by Albin; 06-14-2014 at 07:29 PM.