View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Hi Albin,

guitars don't immediately dry out, it takes a while. Normally humidity fluctuates in the day/night cycle so daytime could be 40% and night could be 45%.
If a dry spell prolongs it's wise to take action, here in Holland, when a bit dry (say at 40%), I usually wait one day to see if the weather turns around and I open a window to allow the outside higher humid air in.
At 30% I would immediately start humidifying, for this I use a small open filmcontainer with a rolled up moist 1/2 wash cloth in it. The cloth has been shaken off from excess moisture after placing it into the container, so it will not normally leak if the container falls over. Depending on the dry spell I replenish the water each day if I have to when it's no longer damp.
The container obviously sits in a corner in the guitarcase, which is closed when the guitar is not played. It's a cheap but effective solution and since it's become a dayly routine I don't forget checking levels each day either.
When no longer needed the cloth is dried properly and/or washed so no fungus can contaminate the case or instrument.

Ludwig