View Single Post
Old 01-09-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
This to me seems like something even Andy Powers would have a hard time saying with a straight face. I would love to see the tests they did comparing all-maple backs with backs with walnut centers to determine that the backs with walnut were demonstrably warmer sounding. They go out of their way to trash maple as a tonewood for guitars—it’s almost as if maple is unsuitable without routed sonic channels, skeletonized braces, a walnut center strip and a smaller soundhole.

I’d be curious to hear how the braces and channels sound on a regular guitar.

To be honest, this is kind of how I saw it too. On one hand promoting Maple and on another saying look at all we have done to make Maple sound good. To me this continues the propagation of what I think is one of the biggest fallacies of guitars, that Maple is not a good tonewood. I have a large collection and one of the very best sounding guitars I have is a Maple buit by Steve Kinnaird and Ryan Middlebrook. John Slobud is making a killing with his Maple guitars. I also do not think a strip of Walnut will do one iota to change the sound.

Use Maple, build it correctly and it will sound like a million bucks. Build with any wood incorrectly and it will sound like a buck fifty.