View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 09:41 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I fell twice & sustained two separate L hand injuries four months apart--both of which required surgery a month after the second injury. First time was a tirangular fibrocartilagenous complex (TFCC) tear--basically torn cartilage on the ulnar (elbow) side of the wrist. The fall was more of a strain, but 6 wks later (when I was nearly all better) I truly tore the TFCC propping myself up in bed with that hand. Surgeon first thought it was tendinitis, gave me a cortisone shot & a lace-up semi-rigid brace. When neither worked, an MRI revealed the TFCC tear. I'd played 3 gigs in the interim, each more painful than the last (except for not being able to make barre chords, guitar was easier than dulcimer). I followed advice to rest my hand and play only for the gigs. Big mistake (see below).

In June, en route to the surgeon's office for a cortisone shot into the TFCC, I fell again and this time fractured my L scaphoid bone (in the palm, just above the wrist, on the thumb side). Had to have 3 surgeries in one session: debridement (cleanout) of the TFCC, internal fixation (metal screw) of the scaphoid, and an ulnar shortening osteotomy: because I was born with an ulna 4mm too long, my TFCC got torn when I fell and was vulnerable to further injury unless my ulna was shortened to normal length. 6 weeks in a hard molded cast-brace, including my thumb.

Got the cast off last week and started occupational (hand physical) therapy yesterday. Seems my tendons got shortened during all those weeks of immobilization (both the cast-brace post-op and the lace-up brace from April-July) which was why it became progressively more painful to make chords requiring stretching. Paradoxically, the dulcimer is easier for me now than guitar (although I do need to re-arrange some fingerings on dulcimer solos).

Here's the rub: I SHOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED PLAYING between gigs! The reason each successive gig hurt more & more was because I wasn't keeping my tendons limber--and they got progressively shorter. Besides my hand therapy exercises, my therapist now wants me to play guitar every day as much as I can tolerate--and play the chords I find most difficult for my fingers to reach. Once I've made progress there we'll work on grip and finger strength (and independent finger isolation, impairment of which was a lifelong problem I'd never realized, with my teeny paws) to bring back the barres.

I will echo Aaron's advice--see a hand-specific orthopedic surgeon who has experience in doing loads of these procedures. Harder to find one who is a musician or who treats musicians as well as athletes (mine treats some of Chicago's pro sports teams), especially if you have insurance issues. Medicare will pay for only 12 PT sessions per year, so I will likely go out of pocket to seek advice from a musician-specific ortho clinic (IL Bone & Joint, Rehab Inst. of Chi., or maybe even a consult at NYC's Hospital For Special Surgery).

See your doctor--and ask point-blank: "if it hurts am I causing it harm?" If not...USE IT OR LOSE IT.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.