View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 AM

I've been trying out Baby Taylors, the Martin LXM and Laguna LD1 (which I just recently noticed), and a couple other cheap models like the Mitchell (I'm sure the GS Mini is a very fine guitar, but I don't want or need to spend $500 for a camp/travel/beach fun box).

I just never was impressed with the BT, I liked the Martin's feel, playability, durability, and mellow tone a lot, but kept going back to the Laguna "Little Brat" which is much lighter, has more volume, and just more punch and overtones (just seems more "open"). For a tiny guitar, it's a blast! Looks very nice as well, with the abalone rosette and HS inlay, and slightly-bowled back. Also has a solid spruce top and wood body (sapele).

I went back to GC and tried to like the Martin again yesterday, but ended up with the Laguna LD1 back in my hands again after a few minutes. So last night I ordered one on MF and was able to talk them into using this weekend's GC "$30 off anything over $199" online coupon (Martin was excluded btw, which just cemented my growing dislike for the LXM) and I already had a $15 comp from a previous MF issue, so it's only costing me $155 shipped, and I already have a gig bag for it.

GC and MF are not exactly the same company, and at first he said they couldn't honor the GC coupon, but after "checking" he allowed the coupon offer on the Laguna. JFYI, if I purchased the Martin LX1 ($299, solid top) he would have given me $30 in accessories, but said Martin just won't allow them to discount their guitars (snooty bees-turds).

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=515909

Last edited by TomHB; 04-03-2011 at 09:05 AM.