View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Take your hubby down to the music store and see how much they'll give you for him on a new Martin. Hubby's may come and go, a good Martin can last forever.
You people are SO bad.

Some guitars were bought with my money; some with our money. Since retiring (10 years ago), when we do take occasional seasonal contracts, there is generally some kind of a "bonus" - that has funded some guitars. I had just purchased an absolutely gorgeous 814ce a few years ago, when a "too good to pass up" situation came up on a T5. I couldn't justify spending more $$ on the T5... my wife said, "I'll buy it!" No, she doesn't play. She wanted me to have that guitar. So now, when I play the T5, she will say "MY guitar sounds good!"

I was a guitar player when we met. I'm guessing that was part of the appeal, 'cause it sure wasn't money or a fancy car. I've generally gone with the premise that she just wanted to tick off her parents.

That said, we support each other. We always visit about any purchases, and we like to encourage each other. I tend to be the "instigator", she works out the details. We did that in our previous businesses. Neither of us wants to be "a nag."

I put that in quotes, since the OP used that word a time or two. You probably didn't nag each other when you were dating... odds are pretty good you "wooed" each other, though. Keep that in mind. Take him with you when you go to a guitar shop. Get him involved in the whole idea of "the search."

"Can you hear the difference between these two?" "What do you think of the finish on this one?" He may not understand that there are differences from one guitar to another, but when he sees your face light up and hears how you sound, if he has any heart, he will want you to be happy.

A marriage isn't about "what I get and what you get"... there are way too many references to shoes vs guitars around here. Being married also isn't a 50-50 proposition... I think of it as 100-100. I would do anything to make my wife happy, and she does the same for me. Almost everything we do, we do together: biking, boating, beach time, RVing. With the guitar, I play, she listens and encourages. She gives me applause after each song. Yes, really.

She has recently decided to try her hand at quilting. I don't see that we need any quilts, but the projects make her happy. So, I help pick out patterns and layouts. And I encourage her 100%. And when she points out any flaws, I tell her I can see the love she has put in it, and that isn't a flaw, it is a "signature."

For the record, I throw a few "signatures" in my songs now and then.

Don't nag. That just makes most people want to dig in their heels even more. Work to get him involved. If he doesn't want you to be happy, the problem runs deeper than a new guitar.

Good luck. Oh, and this place is a great form of "therapy." But don't ever expect to hear, "You shouldn't buy that guitar," around here.

Jim