View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I use D'Addario EJ16 and Martin SP 80/20 light strings a lot and I also use John Pearse strings. In 80/20 I find John Pearse strings to be very pleasant sounding and a little more "rolled off" on the treble end compared to Martin SP 80/20. That is, the JP 80/20 are slightly less bright compared to Martin SP 80/20. Martin Marquis 80/20 have a treble closer to the JP 80/20, but the JP strings sound richer to my ears in the lower frequencies than Martin Marquis 80/20.

In PB strings, D'Addario EJ16 strings are way brighter and the JP PB strings are fairly dark to my ears. The JP PB strings are so dark to my ears that I just don't use them because I like a little more treble in my guitars and for my style of playing. On the other hand, I use JP 80/20 fairly often.

- Glenn
I had used Martin Marquis exclusively for a long time before being introduced to JP strings by Griff Jones in 88 or 89. My first impression was that the
JP strings sounded quite similar to the Marquis but they lasted MUCH longer.

I've enough sets of JP strings here now to last me 2 James
Taylor tours if he needs me. Somehow I don't think......

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com