Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetie View Post
1. Buying new or second hand? .. is the allure of cheap prices on Ebay etc worth it? Is it that important to play it and hold it first?...is it worth risking importing from the states?.. I live in Oxford UK.
The choice of buying a virgin guitar or a used one is a personal one. Certainly buying a used one enables one to buy a better guitar while remaining within one's budget and minimizes the depreciation loss if one were ever to sell or trade up. To me, it is important to play the guitar before I buy it. Nevertheless, I once bought a limited edition guitar from a woman who had unsuccessfully tried to sell it on eBay and was was pleasantly surprised to find that its tone turned out to be on par with the best in my stable. Buying a guitar without playing it is a gamble that some times pays off. To me the risk of buying a guitar on the internet or ordering one is not so much one of being swindled but, rather, that the tone might be substandard.

Quote:
2. How long for you guys did it take for you to find "The one"? And what was the best method for finder her?
It took me about a year of occasional, passive searching as I already had more than one. If I had no guitar and was actively seeking one, I'm confident I could find a good one with in a matter of days or weeks.

Quote:
3. Is each guitar unique? will one 914 be the same as another?
While Taylor's have a deserved reputation for consistency (which makes buying one on the internet less of a gamble), there is some variation and occasionally one comes across an exceptional one.

Quote:
Sorry for the questions!
You have nothing for which to apologize.