View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
My prior post was Martin vs Gibson but this thread is about guitars not being well cared for at G.C.. They would go broke changing strings, so they do a couple each day until they start a new cycle, (high end room guitars). Most novice players hear a guitar with dirty strings and just put it down in disappointment and find a sub $500 guitar with new strings to be a better sound and put their money on that one. It would be a good idea for them to have any employee to change strings weekly on every high end guitar until they sell. I believe they would sell more and have a higher turnover on their pricey models.
I was thinking the same when I was there. I have to say they had a lot of employees working on a quiet Friday afternoon too -- it's not like the manpower isn't there.

I wonder how big a part of what they do is acoustic guitar sales; high end stuff in particular. I suspect they make more money off of DJ equipment, electric guitars, and amps, so maybe that's why it's not a priority? Just speculating. You're right of course; GC would be a better place to buy acoustics if they made sure the strings were decent -- they don't have to be brand new, just not dead.

The guys who work there are nice, but I get the feeling that acoustics are a little bit of an afterthought.