View Single Post
Old 11-06-2023, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

You'll likely get a lot of passionate recommendations on this one!

My two cents...Do you want more bass, or more of a chimey tone? If you like more bass, Martin typically does that better according to most. I personally have tried a number of Martins and a number of Eastmans, and I tend to think the Martins sounded too muddy/bassy for my preference. But I don't really play any bluegrass or flatpicking stuff...more fingerstyle and nuanced chords, and I tend to like the way Eastman sounds in this genre.

Eastman has really improved in the QC area recently, but I think that Eastman still tends to have more hand-built processes compared to Martin's more automated or dialed-in production standards. Martin on average will probably be overall better in quality control on average.

Finally, if made in China bothers you at all, then you probably will never be able to un-see that in an Eastman. Bothers me not the least...but lots of people have strong opinions on this.

It would be great if you could try a new Eastman E10D versus a used Martin D18 if you want Mahogany, or a new E8D Eastman versus a used D28 Martin. Or you can get maybe into a new thermocured top Eastman if that interests you. But I think their straight sitka topped guitars sound better than the thermocured or some of the Adirondack tops. Again...personal preference.

Ideally you can get your hands on a couple of versions and play side by side. You'll know when you know! But you are into good brands in either case I think, so have some fun with this decision!