View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd View Post
Just a warning to the baggie users.

I tried this method for my Martin 000-28. I placed the baggie under the headstock. The headstock came in contact with the baggie and the moisture clouded the finish on the back of the headstock. Be careful where you place it when you have nitro finishes.
Hi jimd...

That is a warning with ANY humidifier. If you over fill a humidifier, and don't dry it adequately it can damage finish if it comes into contact with it.

I had a friend who ruined the heal of his Taylor that way with a soap dish model he'd made. He was wedging the soap dish in with a little pressure to hold it in place, but that compressed the sponges which he had not wrung out adequately and it leaked into the heel of the guitar neck finish.

It's not just Ziplock/sponge humidifiers which are the issue. It's not being sensible with the use of any humidifier which is sponge housed in rubber/plastic.

I've seen Planet Waves, and Dampit humidifiers put in too wet which then leak onto the back of the guitar when hung from the strings.

As a guitar teacher, I've tried to educate students on proper care of their instruments, and some still fail to take the extra 20-30 seconds to finish up wringing out sponges, or drying off the cases/outer surfaces of the humidifiers.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…