View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 AM

"Nahh.
First of all, these grooves don't look like they could be "tuned" to the top like braces can. Once you scour those grooves in, you can't undo it. At least with braces you can just replace one if you over do it.
Secondly, there is another way to remove mass from a top...make it thinner.
Builders have had centuries to play with top geometry.
Radiusing the top....tapering the edges.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Never seen you here before! "
-------------------------------------------------------------

Errr...Sorry everyone. I've been lurking here for months and just recently been cleared to post through an error in the server.
I have enjoyed many hours of reading here. Thanks !

Regarding Blueberry guitars, I have seen and played a couple. Esteban's and Zagers, they are the farthest thing from.
They are actually well crafted guitars and a perticular dread (hog/spruce) I tried did not take a back seat to anything.

The perticular model that I enjoyed playing was called the "Celtic Lion". Blueberry placed only 3 back braces and did away with 1 diagional lower bout brace on the top as well making the guitar very light and resonate. Actually, the guitar was a powerhouse.
The carving detail was exceptionally well done and flawless. Visually, I had mixed feelings about it. Specifically, the headstock despite it being flawless as well.

Current guitars I own include a '85 Beneteau Dred spruce/EIR, Blueridge BR-260, a ported and polished Sigma hog lam/solid spruce and a solid hog/ spruce pacrim Revival (new kids on the block).

I've played bluegrass/country since '80 and grew up with Martins and Gibson's.
I currently play in a classic country dance band and occasionally mandolin in a little local bluegrass band. Mandolins include a '61 Gibson F-12 and a "A" style mando I put together from a kit.

Many guitars I rate, I use the Beneteau as a benchmark but I don't try to compare apples with oranges or hogs with rosewood. I do get my hands on some Martin D-18's quite regular and the juiced up Sigma compare's with them generally speaking. My benchmarks are not Esteban's thaat is for sure.

I'll reserve judgement on these groove topped Blueberries until I get to see one in my hand and pound it a bit.
It's posssible they may have something or they may be a gimmick trying to create a buzz.
Regardless, if they sound like the Blueberry I got to preview, and the workmanship remained consistant, anyone would be hard pressed to critizise it.

Thanks Everyone for allowing me to contribute.