View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Snake Joe View Post
The Taylor sound is what it is. It's bright and tends to ring out on the high side. Seagulls tend to approach a more Martin-like sound: richer in the lower end and warm warm WARM.

I think the Seagull SWS's are vastly underrated, and can age like a fine wine. I think it takes a degree of trust in tonal maturation, an aspect that I can't/won't blame people for not enduring. It'll never reach that "Taylor sparkle," but it will age better. However, if you want the Taylor sound, why limit yourself to the 110?

Personally, I think the SWS is always the better buy, but it isn't a knock on the tone of a Taylor. The upside's are just better for the SWS.
This nails it. The Seagull (and any solid wood guitar for that matter) will continue to evolve overtime. To me, I believe the biggest discerning factor between the two instruments is not material, but feel. Two totally different neck dimensions...if you are inspired and drawn to play an instrument, it really doesn't matter if it is solid wood, endangered wood, hand-selected, pressed paper, carbon fiber, or laminate.