View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Just curious Larry, what do you think of the Rainsong setup?
Never seen or played one, and that's besides the point of what CA did. Also, I was really only looking at the Cargo model. Rainsong has no scale-length equivalent guitar, nor does any company in the carbon-fiber world.

I had to have several shops sort through dozens and dozens of Cargo models to find one that even came close to having more than a 1/16" of saddle showing over the bridge at standard 3/32" and 2/32" set-up specs....and that was in the middle of the saddle, once you got out to the E strings there was essentially nothing, maybe 1/32" at best. You could grab the high E and slide it around with this kind of set-up resulting from the improper neck-angle.

I interacted with CA directly on this early-on (they also couldn't come up with one that met my minimum specs), and it was clear that their production-specs (at least for the Cargo) had been created by someone with little knowledge of a proper guitar set-up, and what the resulting problems would be on a guitar with little saddle showing over the bridge.

These are my observations, only...although I did save a series of interesting emails with them with set-up specs they considered "standard" that have nothing to do with reality in the guitar-playing world. Stuff like shipping guitars with 5/32" & 3/32" action at the low and high E, respectively, and still less than an 1/8" of saddle showing (again, in the center). Bringing that down to a playable height resulted in the same too-low saddle height.

...not to mention no adjustable truss-rod.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 07-22-2010 at 03:06 PM.