View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 12:46 AM

Default Thanks for all the input.

I'm waffling now though. Before I started the thread I was nearly certain I'd get that guitar. What gives me pause though is what a couple of you have mentioned, that there is not always consistency in the way Martins sound. And I've seen that myself because the brand new D35 I loved was one of three D35s that I played. The other 2 were nice, but they didn't take my breath away. I played Gibson J45, Taylor 210, an HD 28. Only that one D35 made me want it. (Actually the 210 sounded very good to me too.). In fact, an AGF friend was with me that day, and when he heard the Martin he said something like, "Put new strings on that and it'll blow you out the door....You'll never do better than that D35. " Also he mentioned that it didn't sound like a typical D35 which are usually darker in tone because of the 3 piece back, and that coincided perfectly with what the GC manager told me right before my friend came in. That was 3 weeks ago. I doubt it's still there.

So now, what I think is that guitar is a good price and I can return it, and I don't mind paying the shipping, and it would only be one way because it's at a GC. But the chances of it sounding like the one are probably slim. So...I think that used Martin is most likely not my dream guitar. OTOH, it would only cost me shipping to find out...
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422