View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
Scrub.....Very nice! Your camera picked up enough for me to see that the detail work is special indeed. Its the size of a GS right? With medium strings? Also, I like the fretboard dots. I just cannot get with the idea of a guitar with no marking inlays on the fretboard. If I get the chance to play some R Taylors and they impress me as much as everyone else, like you, seems to be with them...and I sell my 914 to help fund it, which would really take some convincing to do...I'd certainly have to have dot inlays.
Yes, the R. Taylors are called "Style 1" which is the GS body. 914's are beautiful guitars.. What you would notice immediately tone wise would be a much more focused and deeper bass response, like the GS guitars that are getting so much press lately. There is much more handwork put into the R. Taylors though than the GS series. I like the GS's and was going to buy one, but the depth of tone and complex overtones was more much more noticable in the R. Taylors.. Of course all models will be different, lots of differnet wood combos..
Yeah, I like fret dots and asked them to put the most colorful ones on they could find.. which they did!
Yes, they come with medium strings but will set them up and make adjustments for light if you prefer. That's the thing, they will do anything you want and much of it is no charge..
The R. Taylor wouold be much less fancy than your 914, of course you could get all the fancy inlay around in the binding etc, but it will almost double the price.. I personally like the more understated look. I think they look great. You focus more on the woods than the "bling". The fret dots I had them put on were the smallest you can get, 4mm. Anything bigger I think would not have looked right on this guitar.
The ebony peghead and the finish are just superb.
You can't see all the silking (medulary rays) from the photos, but it just shimmers when you turn it.. They really are beautiful guitars to look at, without the "bling".

Last edited by scub73; 04-06-2007 at 08:38 AM.