View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Hi Tunes,

Welcome to the forum. I have owned a '67 D-35 for about 40 years. Here are a few thoughts on strings:

- I am currently using DR Sunbeams (-013) based on Rich's recommendations and they sound very good. They are almost as easy to play as light gauge strings.
- I have used Elixer light and mediums and I thought they both sounded OK, but I'm not a huge fan of Elixer strings.
- Most of my life with this guitar I have used D'Addario light PB strings. They still sound good to me, but don't have quite the volume and sparkle of medium strings.
- I am not a fan of medium strings for the fingerstyle playing I generally use. The DR Sunbeam medium-heavy (-013) are the only "medium" gauge strings I have been able to accept for playability.
- I have used a lot of Martin Marquis PB and 80/20 bronze light gauge strings and think they all sound fine, though they don't last terribly long.
- I like Martin SP strings a lot. I have used light gauge.
- The only strings I have used on the D-35 where I was deeply disappointed in the sound was a set of Cleartone light gauge strings. The guitar lost all its bass character. They stayed on my guitar for about 5 minutes. However, I have used Cleartones on some of my other guitars and they are OK there.

In other words, the world of strings is wide open to you with the D-35. I wouldn't hesitate to put the Elixers on it since you've already spent the money. But you might consider a set of DR Sunbeams: http://www.juststrings.com/drs-rca-13.html When I put these on, my wife commented that after 40 years it was like having a new guitar. I also have the DR Sunbeam (-013) on my Gibson AJ and my Taylor GS8 -- all sound amazingly good with these strings.

Have fun! Glenn